This is a signature dish from my mom. When she makes this kheer it tastes so yummy and tasty. Once, i tried it out on my own. It came out nice, but i liked the taste when my mom makes it.
This kheer is made in pressure cooker to reduce the difficulty of continuous stirring to make it creamy. By using this method, the kheer gets a nice creamy colour and no much stirring is needed.
Try it out and let me know how it tastes...
1/4 Raw rice (small in size)
1 litre milk
500 - 700 gms sugar (add as per your taste)
1 tsp Cardamom powder (optional)
- Wash raw rice and keep aside.
- Take a bowl which can fit in a pressure cooker. Heat milk in that bowl.
- Pour some water in the pressure cooker. Keep this aside.
- When the milk starts boiling add raw rice and mix well.
- Again when the milk again starts boiling along with the rice, place the bowl in the pressure cooker filled with some water.
- Cover the lid of the pressure cooker initially without placing the pressure cooker weight.
- When you see that the steam is coming out through the nozzle, place the pressure cooker weight on it.
- Keep the heat on very low flame and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Make sure that the cooker doesn't whistle.
- After 20 minutes, switch off the stove and keep aside till all the steam escapes on its own.
- Later, take off the lid and take the bowl out from the pressure cooker.
- Add sugar in it and again keep on low flame till the sugar is completely dissolved and the payasam/kheer is slightly thickened and in creamy colour. Add cardamom powder at this stage if you are using it in this kheer.
- Take off from heat and serve it hot or cold.
- Don't forget to pour water in the pressure cooker before keeping the milk + rice bowl in it. You can pour about 2 - 3 cups of water. Again it depends on the size of the pressure cooker and the bowl you are keeping in it. While cooking, the water should not get inside the bowl.
- Make sure that while cooking, the cooker should not give out the whistle. So always keep it in a very low flame.
Thanks for visiting