I have seen many recipes for making homemade fondant, but was reluctant to try out any of them, thinking if it would come out good or not. At last, rounded off to Veena's recipe as I had tried out many of her other recipes and all had come out good. But some of the ingredients were not easily available. So I was waiting to get all of them or the substitutes, so that I can start off.
Many people had asked me to give a homemade fondant recipe. I had told them to wait, till I try out a recipe and if it come out good, then I will share. So friends, here's the fool proof recipe for homemade fondant...
I was in need of some fondant to decorate a cake and good brand is not available now in stores. So I had no choice, but to try out this recipe. Now I regret, why I didn't try this earlier. It is so tasty and yummy. Can be thinly rolled out. I am really thankful to Veena for sharing her recipe.
This recipe makes about 1100 to 1200 grams of Fondant.
Recipe Source : veenaartofcakes
1/4 cup Fresh Whipping Cream (or non-dairy whipping cream)
1 1/2 tbsp Gelatin
1/2 tsp Meringue powder or (1/2 tsp Gelatin)
1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup or (Glucose Syrup : 1/2 cup minus 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp water)
3 tbsp Butter or Veg Shortening.
1 1/2 tbsp Glycerin
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla extract or other flavouring.
1 kg Icing Sugar or Powdered Sugar
- Keep all the ingredients needed for making this fondant ready, as you have to work fast after melting the gelatin.
- In a microwave safe bowl, put the cream and add gelatin into it. Mix well and keep aside for 2 minutes until it blooms.
- Later, place it in the microwave - Power High for 10 seconds. Take out and mix. If gelatin is not melted completely, put it back in the microwave for another 10 seconds. Do this process, until gelatin is nicely melted and you get a smooth mixture.
- In the mean time, take a big bowl and put 700 gms of icing sugar in it. Make a well in between and keep this aside.
- When the gelatin is nicely melted in the cream, add butter. Mix well. The heat in the gelatin cream mixture will be enough for the butter to melt. If small bits of butter is seen without melted, no probs, you can go ahead with the next ingredient.
- Next add glucose syrup or corn syrup. Mix well. Add salt. If adding meringue powder, add it now. Mix well.
- Next add glycerin and vanilla extract. Mix again. You will get a gooey mixture. If you see that it is bit liquidy, no problem go ahead with the next step. (Make sure that this mixture is not hot or warm. By the time you mix all the ingredients, the mixture should come to room temperature)
- Add this mixture into the well which we had created in between the icing sugar.
- Mix gently by folding in the icing sugar from the sides. Use your hand to mix all the icing sugar into the liquid mixture. When it starts to stick, add the rest of the icing sugar, little by little. Transfer it onto a clean kitchen surface and knead well. If you are able to make it into a smooth dough, stop kneading and transfer it into a zip lock bag or cling wrap it. Place it in an airtight container and place it in the fridge overnight to rest.
- When you are ready to decorate your cake with the fondant, take out the container (with fondant) and let it come to room temperature for about 2 hours. Later, take out the fondant and knead again till it becomes soft. If bit sticky, add little corn flour on the surface and knead again. If more sticky, add little icing sugar and knead again.
- Your homemade fondant is ready. You can roll it really thin and taste is simply awesome.
- You can store this fondant in room temperature for about a month. But i would recommend to store it in the fridge till you use them. In summer, keep the fondant in the fridge and it will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Keep in the freezer, if you want to store for longer period. Whenever you need to use the fondant, take it out about 2 - 3 hours before or keep outside overnight. Knead again and you are good to go.
- As many of the ingredients are not available easily in India, I have used substitutes. Like, instead of meringue powder, I used gelatin and instead of light corn syrup, I used glucose syrup (quantity is mentioned above).
- The gelatin used instead of meringue powder, was added to the cream (in the beginning) along with the 1 1/2 tbsp. gelatin for melting.
- All the ingredients should be kept ready before starting to make this fondant, as we have to work fast.
- I used Amul fresh cream which worked really fine. If you have whipping cream, go ahead with that.
- Initially, take only 700 gms of icing sugar. Later add little by little till you get a soft dough.
- Even after using 1 Kg icing sugar, you feel that the dough is bit sticky, no problem, store it in the zip lock bag, in the container and keep in the fridge overnight. Next day, it will be fine and not sticky. If still it is bit sticky, while kneading add corn flour and if more sticky add bit of icing sugar.
- You can check Veenaartofcakes if you would like to see the video as to how to make it.
- I had used yellow butter and dark coloured vanilla extract, so I couldn't get the perfect white fondant. It is an ivory coloured fondant which I made. If you want a white fondant, use white butter and light coloured vanilla extract or any other flavouring.
Thanks for visiting