I know tofu is good for health. But i don't know, somehow my family is not a big fan of either tofu or paneer esp. my husband. But he likes paneer tikka which i make using soft paneer. That's the only dish he loves with paneer.
My daughter's and my mom-in-law like paneer in any form, but even they are not a big fan of it. So i buy paneer or tofu very rare. Recently, i bought a pack of tofu, just to try a dish with it and check whether my family will like it or not.
This dish was a hit with my daughters, but again....my husband didn't like it :( I am sure, those who love paneer or tofu will definitely like this dish. You can enjoy a unique sweet and sour taste in every bite. Try it out....its simple to make and of course tasty one.
Recipe source : Manjula's Kitchen
1 Capsicum (thinly sliced)
3 cups Cabbage (thinly sliced)
200 gms Tofu (use firm ones)
3 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin powder (from roasted cumin seeds)
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Ginger (grated)
1/4 cup Brown sugar (or normal sugar)
3 tbsp Tamarind pulp (adjust as per your taste)
- Take the tamarind pulp in a small bowl. Add black pepper powder, salt, red chilli powder, ginger, turmeric powder, cumin powder and sugar. Mix well to make a smooth paste. Keep this aside.
- Wash and pat dry the tofu and cut it into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a wide non stick pan. Put the tofu pieces in the oil when it is medium hot. Fry the tofu pieces till all the sides turn golden brown colour.
- Once fried, transfer the tofu pieces on to a tissue paper or on a kitchen towel. Keep this aside.
- In the remaining oil (in the same pan), add capsicum and stir fry for a minute.
- Now add cabbage and let it cook for 2 - 3 minutes or till the vegetables are tender but still crispy.
- Add fried tofu pieces into it and mix well.
- Now add the tamarind sauce and mix well so that the sauce gets nicely coated with all the vegetables and tofu. Keep the flame on low.
- Cover and let it cook for 2 - 3 minutes on low heat.
- Once done, serve it hot with fried rice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting