Sheer Khurma is a festival vermicelli pudding made on Eid ul-Fitr in Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. It is a traditional Muslim festive breakfast, and a dessert for celebrations. 'Sheer' means milk and khurma means dates. Sheer Khurma literally means Milk with Dates. This dish is traditionally made with dried dates.
It seems in every house sheer khurma is made in a different way. Traditionally, dried dates are soaked in milk overnight and then the next day, this dessert is made. Very little vermicelli will be added in it. It has a very runny texture and is not at all thick.
The recipe given below is definitely not a traditional way of making Sheer Khurma. It is my version and it can be made instantly. This dessert is more or less like a vermicelli kheer, but in this dessert, we add more nuts, dates and raisins. This is a rich dessert with all the goodness of nuts and dry fruits.
Try out this recipe and let me know how you liked it.
1 litre Milk
1 cup Sugar (take as per your taste)
1/2 cup Vermicelli
6 - 7 Green Cardamom
1/2 cup Milk powder
1 cup Nuts (like almond, pistachios, cashew nuts and Dates, Raisins) (chopped)
4 - 5 tbsp Coconut (freshly grated)
3 - 4 tbsp Ghee or Butter
3 - 4 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Boil milk in a big pan. Once it starts boiling, keep it in low flame and add the seeds of green cardamom.
- Add dates and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- In the mean time, fry vermicelli in little ghee and when it becomes golden brown colour, pour it into the boiling milk mixture.
- Let it simmer till the vermicelli is nicely cooked.
- Now add sugar. Mix well.
- Take little warm milk in a small bowl and add milk powder into it. Mix well till it is dissolved completely.
- Pour this into the boiling milk mixture. Mix well and let it simmer for sometime.
- In the same pan in which you have fried vermicelli, put the rest of ghee and stir fry all the nuts, coconut and raisins. When it starts turning colour, turn off the heat and keep this aside.
- Later, when you see that the sheer khurma has changed its colour, turn off the heat.
- Add fresh cream into it, mix well and pour the fried nuts, coconut and raisins into it. Mix well.
- Serve it hot or chilled.
- Add sugar as per your taste. I did not add 1 cup of sugar as milk powder and dates imparts little bit of sweetness to this dessert.
- I added 1/2 cup vermicelli. If you like less vermicelli, take about 1/4 cup of it.
- Usually, dry coconut is chopped and added into this dessert. But i liked to add grated coconut in it.
Thanks for visiting
Sending this to Guru's Cooking Kids Give away