Ivy gourd is known in different names like Kovaikkai, tindora etc. It has many medicinal values and is very good for our body. Try this simple and easy side dish which can be served with steamed rice.
200 gms Kovaikkai (cut into small roundels, comes around 2 to 3 cups when cut into roundels)
1 Onion (large, finely chopped)
10 Curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
3 - 4 Green chilli (slit into half)
5 - 6 tbsp Oil (preferably coconut oil)
1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
- In a bowl, put the kovaikkai roundels, onion, curry leaves, kashmiri red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add mustard seeds and when it starts to splutter, add green chillies.
- Add the kovaikkai mixture (kept in the bowl) and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and let it simmer till the kovaikkai is completely cooked.
- Once it is cooked, take off the lid and again stir fry till they slightly changes its colour.
- Take off from heat and serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Adding green chilli is optional, you can omit them and add increase the quantity of red chilli powder.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting