I have made many dishes with fresh green peas or the frozen ones, but was new to dry peas and usually made Ragda Pattice with them "'which is huge hit in my family'" thinking that this is the only dish i can make with them. I have even made samosa ragda with them which also turned out to be a hit.
But one day, i thought why not give it a try and make something different with these dry peas and that's how i ended up making this side dish and even this has become one of our favourite. We love to have it with roti.
Check out this simple and tasty side dish with very simple ingredients that can be found in your pantry.
1 cup Dry Peas (soaked overnight)
1 inch Cinnamon
1 pinch Asafoetida
1 Onion (finely chopped)
1 Tomato (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp Red chilli powder
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Fennel seeds (powdered)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
2 - 3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Kasoori methi
- Pressure cook the soaked dry peas till it becomes soft and nicely cooked. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add cinnamon, cloves and asafoetida.
- Add onion. Saute till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add tomato, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and turmeric powder.
- Saute till everything is nicely cooked and mixed properly.
- Now add the cooked peas and salt. Mix well. Adjust the gravy by adding water.
- Let it simmer for sometime. When everything is combined properly, add kasoori methi. Mix well.
- Serve it hot with roti or naan.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting