This is the perfect recipe for making a homemade ghee. I have seen people melting the store bought butter to make ghee (a type of clarified butter). But i don't find this effective as its not homemade ghee, we are just melting the store bought butter.
From long back(since my childhood), i have seen my amma (mother) making fresh and perfect homemade ghee. Even now, she makes it a point to send me bottles of this ghee for my kids. I just love the taste of this ghee as it is very pure and fresh.
I used to enjoy this homemade ghee, but never thought to learn how to make it. In this vacation, when i went to stay with my parents, i made a point to learn some good recipes from her....in which this is one of them. I thought to share this recipe with you all guys, so that you can also make the complete use of it.
3 cups Milk cream
1 - 2 tbsp Curd
3 - 5 Drumstick leaves (optional)
3 - 5 Methi seeds
2 - 3 cups Cold water
- Take the milk cream that settles on the top of the milk, once it is boiled and cooled down.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Keep this in the freezer. When the milk cream accumulates to 3 cups, take it from the freezer and keep it in the fridge for 1 day.
- In the evening, take it out from the fridge and mix the curd in it. Keep it out in the kitchen counter.
- Next day morning, whip it by adding 2 - 3 cups of cold water in a blender. You can see that some cream like substance floating on the top. (Check the first picture)
- Take that out and place it in a non stick pan or kadai. Discard the water that is left in the blender.
- Pour some cold water, little by little in the kadai in which you have kept the cream and clean it.
- Later, place the kadai on the stove and keep it on low flame.
- The cream will start melting. Now add drumstick leaves and methi seeds in it.
- Let it simmer for sometime.
- You can see some grainy thing settling on the bottom.
- When it becomes light brown, turn off the heat and let it cool for sometime. Don't over cook as the ghee will burn.
- When it is still warm, strain it and pour it in an airtight container. This is the fresh and homemade ghee that you can use for various purposes.
- When it is cooled completely, close the lid and store.
NB: I have tried to explain the method in simple English. If it is not clear, please feel free to put in a comment, so that i can help you further. If possible i will try to post a video the next time i make this. As of now, please check the pictures...
|The cream like substance obtained after whipping in the blender. Transferred it into the kadai.|
|Heat on and the cream starts melting.|
|You can see the grainy thing settling down...|
|When the ghee is still warm, pour it in an airtight container for storing.|
|The end product after cooling...the ghee is thickened and now ready to be used...|
Thanks for visiting