This is a Kerala side dish served with steamed rice. I learned this recipe from my mom-in-law.
Morozhicha koottan or vegetable in curd gravy is made with any one of these vegetables like ash gourd, yellow pumpkin, yam etc. Here, i have mentioned the recipe with yellow pumpkin or mathanga (in Malayalam). When you make this recipe, always use sour curd. So the gravy will be slightly spicy and sour in taste. Very good combination with rice. This is one of my favourite dish. Try it out and you will surely like its taste.
10 - 15 pieces Mathanga/Yellow Pumpkin (peeled and cut into small cubes)
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1 cup Coconut (freshly grated)
1 cup Curd (sour)
2 Green chilli
1/4 tsp Cumin seed
1/2 tsp Methi seeds
10 - 12 Curry leaves
2 Dry red chilli (cut into half)
Salt to taste
Water as required
1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Take a deep pan and put mathanga/yellow pumpkin, water (required to cook it), salt , turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Let it simmer till the yellow pumpkin is cooked nicely but it should not be mushy.
- In the mean time, grind coconut, cumin seeds, green chilli with curd into a smooth consistency.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, add the ground mixture into it and keep in very low flame. Let it cook. Adjust the gravy with water or curd if needed.
- When you see small bubbles coming from the curry, turn off the heat. It should not cook any further.
- For tadka - heat oil in a kadai. Add methi seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilli. When they slightly change colour, take off from heat and pour it directly in the prepared curry. Mix well.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
|Yellow pumpkin/Mathanga cut into small cubed pieces|
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting