Lauki/Bottle gourd/Doodhi is a rich source of nutrients like fiber, iron and Vitamin C. It is an effective food for weight loss as it is low in fat and cholesterol. The juice of bottle gourd is considered to have medicinal properties and to be very good for health. It doesn't have its own taste or flavour. It is used to make side dishes and even sweets like halwa, kheer etc.
My family doesn't like this vegetable when cooked as a side dish with dals. So i was wondering how to make them eat this wonderful vegetable which is good for health. When i make kheer and halwa, they are ready to finish it. But i wanted to make something healthy with this. That's how i came up with this simple dish - in my own style. Its very easy to prepare and a tasty dish. Goes well with roti and steamed rice.
1 Bottle gourd/Lauki/Doodhi (medium, cut into small pieces)
1 tsp Mustard seeds
5 - 10 Curry leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 Green chilli (slit into half)
Salt to taste
1 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Lemon juice (optional)
3 tbsp Oil
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves and green chilli.
- After some time, add lauki, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Let it simmer till lauki gets cooked completely, but not mushy.
- Once cooked, add kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well. Let it cook for some time.
- Take off from heat and pour the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Serve it hot with roti or steamed rice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting