Kala Chana is very high in protein and is a good option for people with Diabetes. Kala Chana is a variation of chickpea but it is dark brown in colour and smaller in size.
This is a recipe which i got from my mother. It is so easy to make and the taste is awesome. If you add more coconut milk and adjust the gravy, it can be served with Puttu (a kerala dish made of ground rice layered with coconut and is steamed in the shape of cylinders). Instead of shallots, you can use large onion. But the dish tastes best when we use shallots.
Try out this simple dish and post in your comments.
|Black Chana Masala|
2 cup Black Chana/Kadala
1/2 cup Sambar Onion/Shallots (sliced)
3 to 4 Garlic cloves (sliced)
1 tbsp Chicken masala
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Small Onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
5 to 10 Curry leaves
Coriander leaves for garnish
Water as required
1 cup Coconut (freshly grated)
- Soak black chana overnight. In the morning, wash it and put in a pressure cooker.
- Add sliced small onion, garlic, chicken masala, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt in the pressure cooker along with the soaked black chana.
- Cover and cook it till the chana is completely cooked. Adjust the gravy as per your wish.
- Grind the coconut with little water and take the coconut milk extract from it. (no need to take the 1st extract, 2nd extract etc. separately)
- Add it to the cooked black chana mixture. Let it simmer for sometime.
- When it comes to boil, take off from heat. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter add finely chopped small onion and curry leaves.
- When the onion turns golden brown colour, take off from heat and add it to the cooked black chana masala.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with roti or naan.
* The quantity of the spices mentioned in the ingredients, can be adjusted as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting