This is a Punjabi dish made with Baingan/Eggplant. It is smooth in texture with a smokey flavour. To give some crunchiness to the dish i added fried capsicum in it.
Baingan can be roasted or cooked in microwave oven. If it is roasted, the dish gets a smokey flavour. So if you like the smokey flavour, roast it on a stove.
1 Baingan/Brinjal/Eggplant (large)
2 Tomatoes (medium sized)
1 inch Ginger piece
2 Green chilli
1 medium sized Capsicum (finely chopped)
1 tsp Cumin seed
1 pinch Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish
- Wash, dry and prick the Baingan/Eggplant all over using a fork.
- Cook it in a microwave oven - micro mode - power High for 7 to 8 minutes or till it is soft and cooked.
- Peel the skin from the cooked eggplant. Cut it into small pieces. Keep this aside.
- In a mixer, blend tomatoes, ginger and green chilli into a smooth paste. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and fry the chopped capsicum for some time. Take it off from oil and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let it cook for a second.
- Now add the blended tomato mixture into it. Stir well. Let it cook for some time.
- Add the coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Let it cook, till it reduces to half the quantity or oil leaves the masala.
- Now add the cooked baingan/eggplant. Add salt and mix well.
- Let it cook for sometime. Mix and mash the eggplants in between using the spoon.
- When it gets a smooth paste like texture and the baingan is thoroughly cooked, add the fried capsicum and garam masala. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with roti or naan.
Thanks for visiting