Do you know Bitter Gourd is also known as Bitter Melon or Bitter Squash.The name itself signifies its bitter taste. It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. It has many medicinal values. It is considered as a medicinal food for diabetics.
My daughter and my husband likes it a lot. To be frank, i don't like it because of its bitter taste. My daughter used to eat it raw when she was very young.
There are many ways to reduce the bitterness from this vegetable. But we cannot remove the entire bitterness from it. This recipe has a spicy and tangy taste....so called as chatpata Karela...
250 gms Bitter Gourd/Karela (small and thin ones)
1 Tomato (medium sized, finely chopped)
1 Onion (medium sized, sliced thinly)
2 Green chilli (chopped finely)
1 Raw mango (sliced into long pieces)
1 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Red chilli powder (adjust as per your taste)
1/4 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala
1/4 tsp Amchur powder/Dry mango powder
1/4 tsp Cumin seed
2 pinch Asafoetida
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Wash and peel off the skin from the bitter gourds. Cut the top and bottom and cut into slightly thick round shape.
- If the seeds are big, take them off.
- To take off the bitterness from it, sprinkle little salt and mix well so that all the pieces are coated nicely. Keep this aside for 6 to 8 hrs.
- After 6 to 8 hrs, wash the bitter gourd pieces and let it dry.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a non stick pan. Put the bitter gourd pieces in it and fry till it changes into light golden brown colour.
- Once done, transfer it into a bowl.
- In the same pan, put little oil and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. When it changes colour, add onion and saute till it changes into golden brown colour.
- Now add tomato and green chilli. Let it simmer for some time.
- Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and amchur powder. Saute for sometime.
- Add raw mango and mix well. Now add the fried bitter gourd and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the bitter gourds are nicely cooked. Stir in between.
- Once it is cooked thoroughly, take off from heat.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve it hot with roti or naan.
Thanks for visiting