This is a healthy kheer, as we are using moong dal and jaggery. We made this kheer also for our Onam festival.
The only difficult part in making this kheer is to extract coconut milk. But now a days, we get ready made coconut milk or milk powder. I usually use it in many recipes when i require to add coconut milk as it is easy. But, for this kheer, i did it in the traditional way, by extracting milk from the coconut. It definitely tastes good.
Split Moong dal - 300 gms
Jaggery - 1 Kg
Coconut Milk - 1st extract: 1 cup, 2nd extract: 3 cups
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Dry Coconut (cut into small pieces) - 1/4 cup
water as required
- Take half of the split moong dal and dry roast it. Keep this aside.
- Put the rest of the split moong dal and water in a pressure cooker and cook it till it is done. Take it off from heat.
- Now add the roasted split moong dal and again pressure cook till one whistle. Take it off from heat.
- In another pan melt jaggery by adding little water. When it melts and reduces to the consistancy shown in the above picture, take it off from heat.
- Cook the moong dal again without the lid and add the melted jaggery. (Adjust sweetness by adding the required quantity of the melted jaggery) Let it cook for sometime, approximately 5 minutes.
- Now add the 2nd extract of coconut milk and let it simmer for some time.
- When the kheer thickens a little, take it off from heat and add the 1st extract of coconut milk. Mix well.
- In a non stick pan, put ghee and fry the dry coconut pieces. When it turns golden colour, pour it into the prepared moong dal kheer and mix well.
- Serve it hot or cool. Tastes really good.
|Cherupayar Parippu Payasam(Moong Dal ki Kheer)|
How to extract coconut milk from coconut?
- Grate coconut and blend it in a mixer using very little warm water.
- Squeeze out the blended coconut using a strainer and this is the 1st extract of coconut milk.
- Again blend the same grated coconut using more warm water.
- Squeeze out again and this is the 2nd extract.
- If you do the process again then the next extract will be the 3rd one.
- Discard the squeezed coconut.