Makhana is also known as Fox nut or Euryale Ferox. This is a seed and is used to make kheer or roasted to make popcorns. They are even served as Prashad in many temples.
Makhana is rich in calcium, protein, carbohydrates, phosphorous, iron, thiamine and zinc. It has a neutral taste. So you can either add spices or make kheer with it. It is light on stomach and nutritious too. If you would like to know more about this seed, click on this link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euryale_ferox
Makhana Popcorn is crispy and can be enjoyed between meals or during evenings along with tea or coffee. Add spices as per your taste and enjoy!!!
3 cups Makhana
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Chat Masala
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
Salt to taste
3 tsp Oil/Ghee
- Heat oil or ghee in a kadai. Put makhana and roast till it becomes crispy and crunchy. It might take 10 - 15 minutes.
- Once it is crisp, add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Add chat masala powder and mix again.
- Serve it hot or once cooled, store in an air tight container for later serving.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting