Recently, i saw many recipes of aval payasam/kheer on many of my fellow bloggers space. This was a new dish to me. I have made aval vilayichathu many times and this kheer tasted somewhat similar to it.
I adapted this recipe from Sharmis passions and Rakskitchen. Made some changes and prepared this kheer to suit our taste.
I made this kheer slightly thick and i felt it more tasty when it was chilled. But my daughter liked it hot. So its up to you...serve it hot or chilled.
1/2 cup Aval (white rice flakes)
2 and 1/2 cup Milk
1/4 to 3/4 cup Jaggery (grated, adjust as per your taste)
1 tbsp Ghee
5 - 8 Cashew nuts
- Dry roast aval on a wide non stick pan. When it slightly starts to change colour, take off from heat and keep aside.
- Boil milk on a big heavy bottomed pan. When it starts boiling add aval and keep it on low heat.
- Scape off the sides and keep mixing the kheer.
- When the aval is nicely cooked, add the grated jaggery. Mix well and let it boil for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- When the kheer has reached the desired consistency, take off from heat.
- In another pan, add ghee and fry cashew nuts in it.
- Add the fried cashew nuts into the kheer. Mix well.
- Serve it hot or chilled.
Thanks for visiting