I learned many recipes from my mom-in-law and this amazing and simple recipe is one among them. It is so easy to make and a perfect breakfast dish. You can even pack this in your kids lunch box.
The grated coconut added in the dish towards the end gives a completely different and amazing taste to it.
Kerala Matta rice (also known as Rosematta rice, Palakkadan Matta rice, Kerala Red rice, or Red parboiled rice) is an indigenous variety of rice grown in Palakkad District of Kerala. It is different from brown rice. It is popular in Kerala and Sri Lanka where it is used on a regular basis for idlies, appams and plain rice. It has a robust and earthy flavor. (source: Wikipedia)
I have used the broken matta rice for this recipe and it enhances the taste of the dish. This rice is also used to make rice porridge and it tastes heavenly to have it along with a spicy pickle or thick tangy coconut chutney. mmm......
Try this simple dish and let me know how you liked it.
2 cup Broken Matta Rice
2 Onion (medium, finely chopped)
2 Green chilli (finely chopped)
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Groundnut (optional)
Salt to taste
1 - 2 cups Coconut (grated)
2 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
1 tsp Urad dal
4 cups Water
2 - 3 tbsp Oil
- Wash broken matta rice thoroughly in running water for about 3 - 4 times, till the water comes out clean. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds and when it crackles, add urad dal. When it turns colour, add green chilli and ginger.
- Saute for a minute. Now add ground nuts and saute for sometime.
- Add onion and saute till it turns golden brown colour.
- Next add the washed broken matta rice and salt. Mix well.
- After 1 minute, add water and let it come to a boil. Close the lid and cook till 2 - 3 whistles or till the rice is cooked.
- Turn off the heat and keep aside, till all the steam escapes on its own.
- Later, take off the lid and add grated coconut. Mix well.
- Serve it hot.
- Add more coconut if you like the taste, because it tastes amazing in this dish.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting