This dish is prepared with white gourd also known as ash gourd or winter gourd. In Malayalam it is known as "Kumbalanga".
There are many dishes prepared with this vegetable. Some of them are Morozhicha koottan, Pulinkari etc.
This is a simple Kerala dish which I learned from my mom. As I mentioned, it is very simple to make this dish, but at the same time, very difficult to get the correct taste and texture of the gravy. This dish is served with steamed rice.
Whenever I make this dish, we all love to add buttermilk along with this gravy to the steamed rice and it tastes really great. A spoon of pickle and that's it....enjoy your rice !!!
1 cup White gourd (Kumbalanga)
1/4 cup Toor Dal
Water as required
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 Green Chilli (slit into half)
1 tbsp. Coconut oil
5 - 8 Curry leaves
- Cut white gourd into 1 inch square pieces (pic shown below)
- Pressure cook toor dal till soft and completely cooked.
- Add the white gourd pieces, turmeric powder, salt and the slit green chillies into it. Mix well.
- Add water as required to cook the white gourd.
- When the white gourd pieces are cooked, take off from heat.
- Immediately add coconut oil and curry leaves into the gravy.
- Mix well and serve hot with steamed rice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting