Dal Makhani is also known as Maa Ki Dal. This is a traditional side dish in Punjabi cuisine. As the name suggests, this dal is prepared in Makhan (Butter). It has a rich taste and goes well with roti. The skinless black urad is used in making dosa, idli etc.
Whole Black Urad is completely rich in protein and is very nutritious. It is recommended for diabetic patients too.
Recipe source : Tarla Dalal
3/4 cup Whole Black Urad (with skin, soaked overnight)
2 tbsp. Rajma (optional, soaked overnight)
3 tbsp. Butter
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 Green chilli (slit into half)
1 stick Cinnamon
1/2 cup Onion (finely chopped)
1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 1/2 cup Tomato puree (fresh)
Water as required
Salt to taste
1/4 cup Fresh Cream
2 tbsp. Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Pressure cook, whole urad and rajma till soft and nicely cooked.
- Heat butter in a non stick pan, add cumin seeds. After sometime, add green chillies, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- Now add onion and saute till golden brown colour.
- Now add ginger garlic paste. Mix well.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Now add tomato puree. Let it simmer for sometime.
- Add the cooked whole urad and rajma along with the water in which it was cooked. Add salt.
- Let it simmer for sometime till all the masalas are combined properly.
- Adjust gravy by adding enough water.
- When everything is mixed properly, add fresh cream. Mix well.
- Take off from heat. Garnish with a drizzle of fresh cream and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or steamed rice.
* I usually take the quantity of the ingredients as per my taste. So you can always adjust the spices as per your taste*
Thanks for visiting