When I was young, I used to enjoy these yummy small cakes from the bakeries in Kerala. I have not seen it in any other place other than in Kerala. If you have seen it in any other place, please do tell me :)
By the time I am posting this recipe, I have made these cakes two times. It's so yummy and melt in mouth that you cant stop by eating just one ;) If you would like, you can add very less sugar while mixing the ingredients and dust with the powdered sugar as per your taste. I did that when I made these cakes the second time. I would suggest you to try it out at least once.... you will keep on trying it again and again ;) These cakes absorb very little oil or you can say... no oil. Try it out, friends....
Its so easy to make and a very yummy treat to surprise your guests within no time. Mix it and fry....you are ready with some yummy cake...isn't it so simple...You can either dust it with powdered sugar or drizzle some chocolate sauce on top...mmm.... yummy....Try it out and Enjoy!!!
A closer look....
1 cup Maida/All purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar (powdered)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
Oil for deep frying
- In a bowl, add egg and sugar. Mix well using a wooden spoon until combined.
- Now add cardamom powder, baking soda and maida. Mix well and knead it into a smooth dough. If the dough is very sticky, add little maida. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a large rectangular log. Cut it into 1 inch thick slices and put a criss-cross cut on each slice making sure not to separate the slice.
- Heat oil in a deep non stick pan. When the oil is medium hot, put the slices in it. Deep fry till it changes into golden brown colour.
- Transfer them onto a tissue paper and serve them by sprinkling little powdered sugar on top.
- Make sure that the oil is not too hot, or else the inside of the vettu cake will not be cooked and the outside will change its colour soon.
Thanks for visiting