This cake is made with lots of egg yolks, so as the name suggests, it is has a yellow colour due to the egg yolks in it. It seems we can bake this cake with just the egg yolks, but was replaced with some whole egg along with egg yolks, just to balance...
The texture of the cake was simply awesome. When i saw the amount of eggs put into the cake, i felt that the cake would taste eggy...but it didn't. It tasted excellent. I would say, that this is an excellent cake for frosting or icing. It can be made as a perfect birthday or wedding anniversary cake.
I used this cake as the base for my Honeycomb Cake which i baked for some of my guests. Check out for more pictures of the honeycomb cake here.
Recipe source: Veena's Art of Cakes
190 gms (2 cups) Cake flour
225 gms (1 cup) Sugar
170 gms (3/4 cup) Butter (at room temperature)
2 Egg yolks (at room temperature)
3 Whole Eggs (at room temperature)
2 tsp Baking powder
1 pinch Salt
250 ml (1 cup) Buttermilk
2 tsp Vanilla essence
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt. Keep this aside.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar using an electric beater, till light and creamy and till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now add vanilla essence, egg yolks and eggs one at a time and beat till everything is completely incorporated.
- Preheat the oven in convection mode at 170 degree Celsius.
- Grease a cake tin with butter and line a butter paper in it.
- Add cake flour mix and buttermilk alternatively into the wet ingredient. Mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Pour the prepared cake batter into the greased tin.
- Place the cake tin in the pre-heated oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the cake is done. Check in between with a tooth pick, whether cooked or not.
- Once it is cooked, give a standing time of 5 minutes.
- Later, take off from the cake tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, cut into pieces and serve.
- Use fine sugar, as it will be easy for mixing with the butter and it gives a creamy finish.
- Make sure that all the ingredients used in this recipe is at room temperature.
- Cake flour might be available in stores. Or else as a substitute for 1 cup of cake flour, you can take 1 cup of All purpose flour and remove 2 tbsp of flour from it.
Thanks for visiting