Homemade Chocolate

Good News for people residing in Hyderabad......Click on "Homemade Chocolates & Cakes" (above) to know more.......Do join my FB page ( https://www.facebook.com/Chocofantasy) to get new updates.


Thursday 7 March 2013

Zebra Custard Cake (Eggless Butterless)





Till this age, I have not celebrated my birthday by cutting cakes (except in my office). This was the first time, I baked a cake for my birthday, cut my birthday cake...that too with my kids and my husband singing the birthday song. It was a nice and cosy feeling, but at this age??? Very awkward...isn't it? Anyway, this happened...




My little daughter was singing the birthday song every time I cut the cake into pieces...So sweet :)  She know only the first line of the song. From a 2 yr old kid, we cant expect more, isn't it.. But it was cute to hear her sing...




I wanted to bake a different cake (healthy one) with a bit of icing...not too fancy. I selected this egg less-butter less custard cake and gave a zebra line effect to it. Whenever i saw the zebra cakes, i used to wonder how it was made. Atlast got the secret behind it and was waiting to bake a cake like that. Got this opportunity and yes...it came out perfect.

Thanks to Priya (my blog friend)...I got this wonderful recipe from her blog. You can check her blog here for many other wonderful recipes.




Check the Notes, before you start baking. Here goes the recipe......

Recipe source: Cooklikepriya (altered to give a zebra effect)

Ingredients

1 and 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Maida/All purpose flour
3/4 cup Custard powder
2 tbsp. Coco powder
1 and 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 and 1/2 cup Milk
3 tbsp. Oil
1 tsp Vanilla essence
3/4 cup Sugar


Method
  • Sift whole wheat flour, maida, custard powder and baking soda. Keep this aside.
  • In a bowl, mix milk, oil, vanilla essence and sugar. Beat well using an electric beater till the sugar is completely dissolved.
  • Mix the sieved dry ingredients into the bowl, little by little. Mix well using a wooden spoon, till everything is combined properly and become a smooth batter.
  • Take half of the batter and mix in the coco powder. Mix well.
  • Pre-heat oven at 180 degree Celsius in convection mode.
  • Grease a baking tray with butter or oil and line a butter paper in it.
  • Pour the custard batter and then the coco batter alternatively in the center little by little till all the batter is finished completely. (picture shown)
  • Place the tray in the pre-heated oven for 40 - 45 minutes. Check with a tooth pick whether cooked or not.
  • Once it is cooked, give a standing time of 5 minutes.
  • Later, take off from the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
  • Once cooled, cut into pieces and serve.

For Icing:

  • I used the Butter Cream Icing. Gave a pink colour to it and decorated with some edible silver beads.

 Note:
  1. You can use any flavoured custard powder. I used vanilla flavoured custard powder.
  2. Instead of custard powder, you can use cornflour.
  3. If cornflour is used in this recipe, always add the vanilla essence.
  4. You can bake this cake by using only Maida/All purpose flour (1 and 1/2 cup). For a healthier twist, I opted to use whole wheat flour and some maida.
  5. If maida is used, the texture of the cake would be more soft than the cake made with whole wheat flour. But, this cake also tasted awesome. Moreover, it is healthy too...Try it out and you will come to know by yourself.


 






A closer look into the zebra cake...






Thanks for visiting
Happy Cooking!!

8 comments:

  1. b'day wishes nimmy... the zebra cake looks really beautiful... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear...B'day was on 20th feb. Only now i got time to post this recipe.. :)

      Delete
  2. belated bday wishes.....beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated bday Nimmy...this cake looks awesome and love the Zebra effect :)....glad to hear that you enjoyed your special day..

    ReplyDelete
  4. belated wishes dear :)
    cake looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday dear cake looks stunning and was surprised to see my name in the post. :-) thanks for the credits. Cake definitely rocks with zebra stripes and I am yet to try this pattern I think I should :-)

    ReplyDelete