You all might have tried halwa, kheer and sabzi with bottle gourd. (You can find some recipes with bottle gourd in my menu card) But this time, i wanted to do something different. That's how i thought to make ice cream with it. I was not sure how it will taste. Whether it will come out good or not. Any way, i took the risk and luckily, it turned out to be awesome. :) We all loved it a lot that kids were asking for more and more.
Its a very tasty and yummy ice cream and no body will be able to recognise that it is made with bottle gourd until you disclose the secret. ;) A must try dessert and i am sure you all will love it too.
1 cup Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Doodhi (grated)
500 ml Milk
1/2 cup Full cream milk powder (Everyday milk powder or Amulya)
2/3 cup Sugar or 1/2 tin Condensed milk
1 cup Fresh cream (whipped)
1 tsp Vanilla essence
Green food colour (optional)
- Peel off the skin and scrape off the seeds from the bottle gourd.
- Grate it and squeeze off the water from it. Discard the water and keep it aside.
- Boil milk and add the grated bottle gourd in it.
- Let it simmer till the bottle gourd is completely cooked and milk is reduced to approximately half the quantity.
- Once it is cooked, take off from heat and let it cool for sometime.
- Put it in a mixie jar and blend it into a smooth consistency. Add milk powder, sugar or condensed milk and vanilla essence. Blend again till the sugar is dissolved.
- Whip the cream nicely and add this to the mixie jar. Blend it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour this mixture in an ice cream tin or an air tight container. Keep this in the freezer for about 2 to 3 hrs. Every fridge has different levels for cooling. So keep checking.
- Before it is fully set, take the ice cream out and mix it thoroughly with an egg beater (preferably) or spoon.
- Again put it in the freezer. Continue the same process once again.
- After 3 to 4 hrs (again it depends on the fridge) when the ice cream is set, take out and serve it.
Thanks for visiting