Chana or Chickpea is known for its rich protein content. This is a simple and tasty side dish which is easy to prepare and it goes well with Batura, Roti or Poori.
2 cups Chana/Chole/Chickpeas (soaked overnight)
3 tbsp Oil
A pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Jeera
1 tbsp Besan/Gram flour
1 large Tomato (pureed)
1 tsp Ginger paste
1 Green chilli (finely chopped)
2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
Coriander leaves for garnish
- Soak chana overnight and pressure cook till it becomes soft and nicely cooked.
- Heat oil in a kadai and put asafoetida, jeera. When jeera splutters, add besan powder.
- When it changes colour, add pureed tomato. Mix well.
- Now add ginger paste, green chilli, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and let it cook till oil leaves the masala.
- Now add cooked chana and add 1/2 cup water.
- Cover and let it cook till the masala gets mixed with the chana.
- Add more water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Mash the chana slightly, by pressing with the back of your spoon.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, take it off from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- You can add little lemon juice or amchur powder in the end. But its optional.
- Serve it hot with roti or batura.
Thanks for visiting